2013年1月7日月曜日

Sumarry and Reaction about Sandel's article

Summary

Sandel is against genetic engineering because it weakens humanity, responsibility and solidarity which are human’s moral characteristics. He notes four genetic engineering types which are muscle enhancement, memory enhancement, prescription of growth hormone, and gender selection. These genetic engineering types may achieve to be perfect, but it has problem which is human’ responsibility will expand by choosing traits and also, dificience of appreciation for talents as gifts. Therefore, he thinks genetic engineering is undesirable due to desire for the will of acquisition of over gift and to become “the masters of our nature” is mistake because it lacks thanks for “life as a gift.” Also, he is worry about a loss solidarity by unawareness of “the contingency of our talents.” To sum up, he is opposed to genetic engineering.

 

Reaction

 

I agree with Sandel’s opinion because genetic engineering seems to me out of moral especially human cloning. I think genetic engineering has risk and if it fails, it will be an irreparable mistake. However, in the future, genetic engineering may become more common. Actually, in Japan, PDG is getting common. To be honest, I am interested in PGD as a woman. I do not want to have a child who has serious disease. I know this idea is selfish, but if I find my child’s serious defect, I will have an abortion. Thus, this idea may have some connection to genetic engineering because I hope kind of perfect body for my child. Whereas, I am for his idea which is to consider life as a gift. Therefore, I think it is needed not to exceed genetic engineering over human’s moral.

 

His article is persuasive because he refers to four main causing examples for genetic engineering. He explains from both general ideas and expert’s ideas by quoting from old ideas and recent ideas. His article was difficult for me, but he uses his main idea again and again such as life as a gift, so it is good way to strengthen. Also, he uses “we”, “our”, so it is good for persuading readers.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿